Sunday, August 12, 2007

Romance, nostalgia, grace....


Passion, romance and exquisite design are a hallmark at Delicate Designs by DD. Each jewelry piece of DD's exudes an aroma of delicious charm that will satisfy the most demanding palate. Join with me in a brief chat with DD.

Where do you get your inspiration for your work?
At first, I was inspired by the love I have had all my life with vintage costume jewelry. My two Great Aunts, Laura Belle & Myrte, would encourage my rummaging into their jewelry drawers. I ended up inheriting all their jewels. I was young and would lose items but I never threw anything away. I guess I knew I would use them someday, somehow. Secondly, I always wanted to be an artist. I remember in High School art class I struggled with painting. I wanted to paint so bad but I had no talent! I could do abstracts out of water colors, so for years I called myself an "abstract artist." It never satisfied because I really wasn't good at that either!When I first started my pins I was also in the process of becoming a Christian. The transformation that was occurring in my heart and the gift of creating with my hands came together beautifully. So my inspiration these days is that I never take for granted the gift of art that God has given me with the things I love. The solace and therapy of taking a pile of jewelry and asking God to create through me always inspires and always satisfies.

What do you feel is special about your art and sets it aside from other artists?
It is very nostalgic for people. People always reminisce about their Grandma or other relatives that wore costume jewelry. It takes them back...I am set apart from others because while many craft jewelry collages, mine are tiny works of art. Always balancing colors, shapes & themes. It is a completely self taught process over the last 15 years. One that I am passionate about and constantly improving. My standards are high and only I know when a piece is finished.

Do you have any one piece of work that defines who you are as an artist?
It would have to be my first pin. It is made entirely of my Great Aunts jewelry. It even has a locket picture of one of them. Sorry, I don't have a picture...

Where do you see yourself going from here?
My art is just that. My art. It satisfies the artist within. I hope I will always be able to create and grow. I have never been motivated by money. If people just want to look, that is humbling. If they end up in my Great-Granddaughter's dress up trunk, that is fine by me. Whatever God's will for them, will be. Meanwhile, He has given me this gift freely and I freely give it back.

Visit DelicateDesignsbyDD for a full array of beautiful products http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5199231 and find your special piece of jewelry to enhance your wardrobe for the upcoming festive season.

7 comments:

Angela said...

Great profile! It reminds me of the "Subversive" jewelry line in Vogue and W.

Frankie Kins said...

Wonderful interview. I so enjoyed reading it. DD is a very special lady with a very special God-given gift. Lovely!

Sara's Texture Crafts said...

What a great feature - thank you for sharing your finds! Sara x

Paperbagdaisy said...

wow, they are gorgeous pieces. thanks for sharing!

Barbra said...

Terrific to read. Thanks for sharing.

Expressyourself said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Expressyourself said...

Amazing interview! Thank you for sharing. Lol.
Natalia