Sunday, August 26, 2007

Meet mkendall






A visit at Etsy's mkendall http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5048667 shop is to have a visual treat to stimulate your own creativity. There is a depth in this collection that will trigger impulses to create beauty wherever you are. Purchase some of these beautiful treasures and hang them in your studio for those days that you need a mental boost. mkendall delivers a colorful, unique perspective that seems to leap from the photographer's vital energy while at the same moment calming and soothing the viewer, invigorating and relaxing. The following interview takes us a little closer to where this creative endeavor starts.
How did you get your start in photography? I have always loved taking pictures, but I think my passion for photography really developed when I was about 15. My brother was in several bands and I would always go and take pictures of them performing. It really taught how to deal with movement and light.

Where do you get your inspiration for your shots? My inspiration comes from a variety of things. I love to capture everyday objects such as lightbulbs and typewriters, in new ways. I am also very fascinated with natural light whether it be from the sun outside or simply a lamp that is place in the room. That is why I never use a flash. I try not to create set up vignettes or false settings. I like to capture things as they happen naturally.

What do you feel is special about your work and sets it aside from other photographers? My most recent work I've began layering my images on top of each other creating collage style pieces. I used a lot of transparencies in my paintings when I was younger. I love the idea of overlaying images that are totally unrelated, such as a typewriter and a flower. Sometimes, I take shots for specific pieces when I have a set idea in mind. Others, I browse through my library of photos and just see what I come up with. I like the idea of taking basic photography to an almost painterly level.

Do you have any one piece of work that defines who you are as an artist? That's a tough one. I don't think I really have one yet. I have worked in many different mediums from collage to painting to sewing and photography, even founds objects. It would be difficult to include them all in one piece.

Where do you see yourself going from here? I would love to go back to incorporating painting into my work. I got in sort of a rut and photography kind of took over as my solo creative outlet for the past year. I have an idea in my mind how I would like to approach both mediums together. It's just a matter of time before I get there. I find pleasure in exploring new media and will definitely continue to do so.
Wishing you all the best mkendall!

8 comments:

~Stella said...

Beautiful work and a great interview!

~Stella

chris said...

Love those photos!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Morgan! -kom

monica yvette said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love this artist's photos. The colors are beautiful and the subject matter intriguing.

PamperingBeki said...

Really beautiful work! Great interview. Thanks for introducing us to yet another fabulous artist!

The Creative Corner said...

gorgeous work!

Ample Goddess Jewelry said...

What an eye catching blog!

Betani said...

Stunning work!