Monday, July 23, 2007

My favorite artist....meet Frankie Kins







Do you have that one special person that you've admired for years and been inspired as you watch the person evolve in their artistic career? Frankie Kins, also known as Blue Moon Studio and One Eye Open is that special artist for me. She is a great friend and it never ceases to fascinate me as I see snippets of her most inner self in each of her works. She's versatile in many different mediums and shares her knowledge with a freedom that is rare. The picture to the left, "Not Allowed", captures the essence of childhood freedom with a sense of abandon. To me, it is vintage Frankie Kins with her unique sense of nostalgia blending with her heart. To the right, "Phlox and Lavender" captures to a tee her deep enjoyment of beauty that she never takes for granted and enjoys to the fullest.

Meet the artist in the following candid interview she graciously consented to.

Where do you get your inspiration for your work? I'm a very visual person, and so as not to state the obvious, I get inspiration for my work from things I see. Let me explain. I love looking at books and magazines. I enjoy looking at art sites on the Internet (what I call eye candy). Looking at work that other people have done often jump starts my creativity. Sometimes it seems I run out of places to look for inspiration, and when that happens, I usually hit a dry spell. When that happens, a trip to a funky gift boutique or to Anthropologie can get me back on the creative path.


What is your favorite medium? Photography, especially alternative processes. Second in line would be digital photo montage/mixed media collage.


What do you feel is special about your art? Aside from its aesthetic quality, I feel that most of my art portrays a nostalgic and bittersweet moment in time. There is so much art available these days, so very much from which to chose. I attempt to create what I would love to hang on the walls in my own home.


Do you have any one piece of art that defines who you are as an artist? That's a tough question; I would have to say that it's the last piece I made. Right now, that would be "Not Allowed". This piece really pushed some limits I had placed on myself prior to that shoot. I like the simple beauty of it and the anonymity of the subject. I tend to love the last thing I have worked on the best.

Where do you see yourself going from here? I do have some dreams when it comes to my work. Someday, I hope for one of my pieces to be chosen for a book jacket. I also have plans to submit my work to stock photography sites. Using ball jointed dolls as models is in my very near future plans as well.

If you would like to see more or purchase Frankie's work, please check OneEyeOpen for more of her beautiful photography and photo montage
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5204418

and for paper arts, check BlueMoonStudio at

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5037569

Thanks Frankie!

4 comments:

Sweet Spice said...

wow! thank you for sharing her!!



http://sweetspicestory.blogspot.com/

Angela Vandenbogaard said...

Very nice article! :) She sounds like a lovely artist, and I know I have artists who I truely admire! :)

Thank you for visiting my blog :)

♥ Angie

Frankie Kins said...

Kate: I can't thank you enough for this lovely article about me on your blog. It makes me feel really special! :D

Chia said...

I stopped by to thank you for entering my contest and wish you luck.

You have an interesting blog. I hope you get your paper making set. I've made paper a couple of times and it was a fun. There is nothing quite as wonderful and a piece of paper you made yourself. :)